One of our members once shared her to-do list prior to immigrating to the US. It has since then been useful for many soon-to-become Military Spouses!
· Organize clothes and shoes – keep or donate?
· Furniture and kitchen supplies – keep, donate or sell?
· Mail needs to get redirected to a family member after moving date
· Buy outlet adapter for laptop, hairdryer, curling iron, iphone
· Cancel home insurance and other insurance
· Cancel internet and cable provider (3 months in advance!!)
· Towels, sheets, give to family members? (Same size in the US?)
· Confirm moving date
· Confirm shipping date for my stuff
· Call cleaning service for apartment
· Organize storage for moving boxes
· Buy portable charger for phone
· Bring family photo albums?
· Bank stuff
· Travel insurance
· Vaccinations + translate
· Double check last pay-check from work
· Book flight tickets (look for promo code)
· Visa papers in order (in a carry-on bag) + extra copies of everything
· Updated passports and photo ID
· Inform authorities about emigrating
· Translate resume to English
· US Dollars, maybe carry $1,000 cash?
· Collect degrees, letters of recommendation, certificates (in English)
· Call doctor and get renewed prescriptions for allergy meds
· Pick up allergy meds at pharmacy
· Buy extra contact lenses
· Ask dentist for x-rays (wisdom teeth progress)
· Order birth certificate, 5 copies (in English)
· Order criminal record screening, 5 copies (in English)
My Family and Friends
· Collect phone numbers and addresses
· Collect photos and photo albums
· Organize goodbye party
· Share new address, phone number, with family and friends
· Ask for ride to airport
· Send copies of all important documents (in case we can't get ahold of each other when I travel)
· Ask for copy of his military orders in case immigration asks about him
· Share flight info and phone numbers to family members
· Discuss what I should bring from home or what we will buy there
· Arrange housing/hotel prior to my arrival
· Get his working hours, can he take leave for when I arrive or will friend have to pick me up?
· Write down his cell on paper in case phone doesn’t work
· Phone numbers for his family members